What we do
"To promote and uphold the history, prestige and traditions of Naval service and to preserve Australia's naval history."
- Library and publishing
- Website - www.navyhistory.org.au
- Garden Island Guided Tours
The Society maintains an archive of media on Australian naval history. If you have any historical naval documents, we'd love to hear from you - confidentiality assured.
Library and publishing
The Society maintains a library of works on Australian naval history. We sponsor the CoMAN project to catalogue material on Australian naval history, and we have a pool of our own published works
We currently publish 3 periodicals.
- The Buzz - an informal newsletter distributed to members, the Buzz details coming events and items of topical historical interest.
- The Naval Historical Review - The Review has been published quarterly to members since 1970. It contains personal recollections, anecdotes, book reviews and articles on wide-ranging subjects including naval operations, events and engagements. The Review is available to members only and is included in the annual membership subscription.
- The Journal of Australian Naval History - established in 2004, this is a high quality periodical that actively promotes research and writings at academic standard. It contains peer-reviewed material and is published twice a year (March & September). The Journal is available through paid subscription - more details about subscriptions.
Website - www.navyhistory.org.au
Our website is an important way for the public to learn about the Society and to access our work.The online database is a guide and research tool and is compiled from authenticated Australian naval records and archives in Australia and oversea. It also includes a number of previously unknown and unpublished works
Garden Island Guided Tours
The Society operates guided tours of the "Garden Island Historical Precinct". We have more information about tours.