On This Day - 24 November
- The former South Australian gun boat HMS PROTECTOR, was decommissioned at Hong Kong, and adopted her former prefix HMSAS.
- HMAS TORRENS, (torpedo-boat destroyer), was sunk off Sydney Heads, when being used as a gunnery target for HMA Ships AUSTRALIA and CANBERRA, (cruisers).
- HMAS HOBART, (cruiser), was flagship of His Majesty's Australian Squadron in Japan.
- RAN's Helicopter Flight commenced operations at Bearcat Base in Bien Hoa province, Vietnam.
- HMAS ANZAC, (Battle class destroyer), was sold out of service for breaking up in Hong Kong.
- HMA Ships PERTH, (guided missile destroyer), CANBERRA, (guided missile frigate), and ORION, (submarine),) were on passage to the northern Malacca Strait, to take part in the ASW Exercise SHAREM 94-1with US Ships HEWITT, THACH and the submarine TUNNY.
- HMAS PERTH, (former guided missile destroyer), was sunk as a dive wreck at Seal Rock, Albany, WA. The scuttling charges were fired by a former member of the crew of the earlier HMAS PERTH, (cruiser), which had been sunk in 1942 at the Battle of Sunda Strait.
'On This Day' is based on the book "Navy Day by Day: Historic Naval Events in Australia and Abroad" written by the late Lew Lind. More information.