The Society does not have access to detailed service records.
The Commonwealth Government has extensive public-access records. These include service records, ship's logs, personnel records and many others. Most of these can be searched on-line, and there are arrangements for copies and viewing of original documents in person.
A nominal roll is a record of all the service men and women who served in Australia's defence forces and the Merchant Navy during a period of history. Nominal rolls include only Australians serving in the Australian Defence services.
National Archives: Defence Service records
The National Archives have an extensive on-line searchable database of records relating to defence - it is a wide ranging pool of information though mainly limited to administrative and personnel matters. It is an important source of reference information.
Other Government websites - general interest
- Australian at War - Dedicated to those Australians who served our nation over the past one hundred years.
- Visit Gallipoli - Visit Gallipoli through the Anzac Commemorative Site
- Australians at War Film Archive - transcripts of interviews of Australian veterans from World War I to the present.
- Australia’s War 1939-1945 - A new look at Australia's involvement in World War II
- Office of Australian War Graves & Memorials - locations, general details; descriptive and pictorial only; no service records.