The first Australian and New Zealand troop convoy of the Second World War, US 1, sailed from Sydney for the Middle East. The escort consisted of HMA Ships CANBERRA and SYDNEY,(cruisers), and HMS RAMILLIES, (battleship).
The auxiliary minesweeper HMAS NAMBUCCA was commissioned. NAMBUCCA was built as a wooden coastal steamer by E. Wright, Tuncurry, NSW, for the North Coast Steam Navigation Co. NAMBUCCA was requisitioned for naval service on 7 November 1939. The ship was transferred to the USN on 19 April 1943.