230th Anniversary of HMS Sirius wrecking on Norfolk Island
Thu 19 Mar, 2020
Events to recognize the 230th Anniversary of the wrecking of HMS Sirius will be held on Norfolk Island in March 2020.
There will be a week of events with special guest presenter Professor Graham Seal, author of Great Convict Stories and Professor of Folklore at Curtin University. Graham will spotlight many extraordinary happenings and convicts, possibly including those who lived throughout this tumultuous event. Other presenters are history and folklore specialists Don and Sue Brian, who have uniquely collected the stories, songs and poems of convicts, whalers and others from this period. Museum staff with responsibility for the HMS Sirius collection will also present. A waterfront luncheon with entertainment will be held on the day.
An optional 230th Anniversary Package being offered by the Norfolk Island Travel Centre includes:
- Welcome dinner and presentation
- Four workshop presentations by Graham, Don and Sue and museum personnel
- 19th March special waterfront event under opposite the wreck site at Kingston, including a sumptuous luncheon, presentations and entertainment
- Dedicated HMS Sirius tour by Norfolk Island Museum personnel
- Four Norfolk Island Museum Pass including tag-a-long
- Fabulous farewell fish fry dinner with talk and entertainment including singer and Island dancing
For more information, please visit the link below.