- This event has passed.
Victorian Chapter – May 2021 Meeting
Mon 24 May, 2021, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Glen Waverley, VIC Australia + Google Map
Guest speaker Dr Steve Cole PhD, BSc (Hons) has had extensive experience as an environmental management researcher, policy maker and implementer, both within Navy and as an industry consultant.
He has some fascinating and valuable stories to tell, many from his time as the Navy Environment Manager in Canberra from 2001-2017.
With new challenges arising for Navy from the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, he worked on a variety of important policy areas. His work was acknowledged with award of a Conspicuous Medal. In particular he:
- Was responsible for Navy Environmental policy development on behalf of CN
- Developed environmental management guidelines for training and operations at sea
- Found solutions to support continued use of active sonars whilst avoiding significant impacts on marine mammals (once a hot topic internationally)
- Resolved application of marine pollution control measures to Navy activities at sea
- Provided input to new ship design to further manage environmental risks
- Assisted in certification processes for RAN helicopters and warships to participate in advanced alternative fuels trial with the US Navy 2008-2016
- Provided input to consideration of climate change impacts on Defence operations
Members and Guests are most welcome
A relaxing meal and drink beforehand in the RSL’s delightful Warramunga Room is always a pleasant prelude to the 1900 meeting