On This Day - 3 December
- HMAS SWAN, and the French Ship BISSON, (destroyers), entered the Sea of Azov to observe the state of White Russians in the area.
- The Australian Naval Board asked the British Admiralty to redeploy Australian ships in the Pacific and Indian Oceans, to counter the operations of German raiders.
- HMAS COOTAMUNDRA, (minesweeper), was launched at Poole & Steel's Yard, Sydney. On the same day HMAS PIRIE was launched at Whyalla, SA.
- The Fremantle-based USS NARWHAL, (submarine), landed Special Services troops, and 90 tons of stores, near Cabadaran, Mindanao. Two days later she sank a small Japanese transport in the same waters, with gunfire.
HMAS STUART, (destroyer), stood by and escorted to Brisbane USS GUARDFISH, (submarine), which was damaged in a collision with a tender.
- The Australian supply ship JEPARIT arrived at Vung Tau, Vietnam, on her 33rd voyage.
HMAS PERTH, (guided missile destroyer), provided supporting gunfire to the US 135th Assault Helicopter Company, when it landed troops near the Cambodian border.
- HMAS OTAMA, (Oberon class submarine), was launched by Her Royal Highness, Princess Anne, in Greenock, Scotland. She was the last of the Oberon class submarines built for the RAN.
'On This Day' is based on the book "Navy Day by Day: Historic Naval Events in Australia and Abroad" written by the late Lew Lind. More information.